Another Look at the Muscle Sensor

After chatting with some people on the bruxhackers group, I started to think there was something wrong with my initial characterization of the Muscle Sensor v3. Most of the other guys who are using the circuit get about 1-1.5V on the output while clenching. I only got 180mV or so. Before my tests, I set the gain potentiometer to what I believed was the maximum. It turns out that it wasn't. I repeated my tests and things didn't improve until I adjusted the pot. As soon as I did, the output signal jumped to about 1V while clenching (on a guard). Here's a screen capture from the scope:

Output signal of the Muscle Sensor while clenching

Position of electrodes on my masseter muscle

Power supply protoboard for Muscle Sensor


Popular Posts